WSU Cougar Head Logo Washington State University

No Record, COVID (NRC) Grade

Office of the Registrar

No Record, COVID (NRC) Grade: Fall 2020 & Spring 2021

This grade will be available for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters. It is not available for previous semesters, including Spring 2020 and Summer 2020. This grade does not replace Current Term Withdrawal and will not change your tuition paid. The form to request the NRC grade will be available on this page from 12/23/20 – 1/6/21.

Deadline to request: 1/6/21

NRC Grade

Students may elect to change W, C-, D+, D, or F grades to NRC (No Record, COVID) for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021.

W Grade NRC Grade F (Fail) Grade Basic Information
W = Withdraw

Fall 2020 Deadline: 11/20/20 for individual grade withdrawals

No Credit

Limit of 4 W grades per student.

Course may be repeated.

Included in credits attempted for Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress.

NRC = No Credit, COVID

Fall 2020 Deadline: 1/6/21

No Credit

Does not count toward the number of allowed W grades.

Course may be repeated.

Current W grades may be changed to NRC for Fall 2020 or Spring 2021.

Excluded in credits attempted for Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress.

F = F grades

Calculated in GPA

No Credit.

Course may be repeated.

Included in credits attempted for Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress.

  • Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 only.
  • Students must affirm that the reason for the request is COVID-19 related.
  • The NRC option is allowed for all undergraduate and graduate courses unless an exception is approved by the Provost's Office.
  • Students taking courses in the professional health science careers of Medicine, Pharmacy, and Veterinary Medicine are excluded from the NRC option.
  • Your advisor will receive a copy of your request.

How it works

  • Students who received a W grade may request an NRC grade 12/23/20 - 1/6/21.
  • After final grades post in myWSU, students earning a grade of C-, D+, D, or F may request an NRC grade 12/23/20 - 1/6/21.
  • If your final grade is a C or above, the form will not be processed.

Instructor/Advisor approval is NOT required. However, your advisor will be notified.

Should I contact my assigned Academic Advisor?
  • Yes. Students are encouraged to contact their advisor before the end of the semester to discuss utilizing the NRC grade.
  • After the semester ends, many advisors will be available for additional questions beginning 1/4/21. Please email them directly. WSU is closed 12/24/20, 12/25/20, and 1/1/21.
  • If your advisor is unavailable during break, visit the Academic Success and Career Center

Timeline to request NRC grade

How do I change my grade to COVID, No Record?

Check the status of your request

I have changed my mind. I would like to keep my grade!

Is NRC grading available for Professional students?

The form doesn't look right! Help!

More Information & FAQs


Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Section 3509 of the CARES Act allows institutions to exclude from the quantitative component (pace measurement) of satisfactory academic progress (SAP) attempted credits a student was unable to complete as a result of the COVID-19 national emergency. It is not necessary for a student to have file a SAP appeal for an institution to exercise this flexibility. However, to exclude attempted credits from SAP, an institution must have reasonably determined that the student's failure to complete those credits was the result of a COVID-19 related circumstance. Allowable circumstances include, but are not limited to, illness of the student or family member, need to become a caregiver or first responder, economic hardship, added work hours, loss of childcare, inability to continue with classes via distance education, inability to access wi-fi due to closed facilities. If an institution temporarily ceases operations during a period of enrollment, attempted credits for all affected students (specific to that enrollment period) may be excluded.

NRC Grade Request Form

Complete the NRC Grade Request Form to submit a request to change one or more grades to NRC. Please use one form for all requests. The form will be available 12/23/20 - 1/6/21. 

Deadline to request: 1/6/21

Please allow 3 -5 business days for processing, though requests may take longer during high volume periods. All requests will be processed after final grades post.

Published 11/19/20, Updated: 11/20/20 8:09

No Record, COVID (NRC) Grade
Office of the Registrar