Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Letter Grade Change Request

Letter Grading

As of March 23, 2020, WSU expanded the pass/fail option for undergraduate students. Undergraduate students enrolled in undergraduate courses may choose the pass/fail option for any or all registered courses in the Spring 2020 semester. Students may request to change P/F grading to letter graded. Deadline: May 1, 2020.

P (Pass) Grades PP (Pass) Grades F (Fail) Grades More Information
P = A, B, or C grades

Not calculated in GPA

Credits will count toward degree pre-requisites and many degree requirements. Still, check with your advisor.

PP = C- or D grades

Not calculated in GPA

Credits MAY count toward degree requirements and pre-requisites. Check with your advisor.

F = F grades

Calculated in GPA

  • The emergency grading accommodation is for Spring 2020 only.
  • The Pass/Fail (P/F) option is for undergraduate students taking undergraduate courses only.
  • No limit to number of P/F courses for Spring 2020.
  • If you are enrolled in a shorter session (less than 15 weeks), and the session has ended, the course is not eligible for Pass/Fail grading.
  • The deadline to request is: May 1, 2020
  • You can change your mind. The deadline to convert a P/F course to graded is: May 1, 2020.

How it works: Your instructor will assign a final grade (A-F) in the final grade roster. WSU will convert A, B, or C grades to P (Pass), C- or D grades to PP (Pass), or F grades to F (Fail).

Instructor/Advisor approval is NOT required.

UCORE & Honors classes are allowed P/F grading Spring 2020 only
Contact your Advisor, if...
  • You have questions.
  • Your department has a GPA requirement to stay in the major.
  • This course needs a grade other than P/F to count towards your program of studies.
  • Your department has a limit on the number of P/F courses allowed.
  • You intend to use this course for acceptance to graduate or professional school.
  • You have previously been deficient or have a cumulative GPA below 2.0.
  • You have financial aid considerations.

How do I change my grades to Pass/Fail?

Request using the Pass/Fail Option Form.

Deadline to request: May 1, 2020

Check the status of your request

Please allow 3-5 business days for the Registrar's Office to process your request. Requests may take longer during high volume periods. You can check the progress of your request in myWSU. Go to Student Homepage > Academic Advising > View Grades. The type of grading will be listed next to each course.